Skip to main content

Pop Pop Pop

Caramel Popcorn - devil's food, I'm sure.  I am addicted to this stuff.  Once in a while, I buy that awful stuff from the supermarket and binge on it.  Sadly (or thankfully  - I don't know!!), I seem to be the only one in the family to love this stuff.  I thought I would try to make some at home.  So... 


 I made a batch on Tuesday night - one jar full plus 4 and a 1/2  brown bags full.  I gave away one bag to a neighbour.  I gave the 1/2 bag to my husband for work.  And I "shared" (as in I think I ate the lion's share of it) one bag with some friends who came over on Wednesday.   I was surfing Pinterest last night.  And on Thursday morning, I wake up and this is what I'm left with...

Before the photo shoot...


After the photo shoot (I took about 3 photos!!)...


And that's it - no more after this jar is emptied!!

On another note, I had a go at creating "art".  Art, as in something to hang and display.  What do you think?  The inspiration came from here.  I think I need to practice a bit more on painting the canvas and balancing out the proportions.  Hmm.. looking at this photo... I'm going to give it another go, I think.


Caramel popcorn

How to make the perfect popcorn  (adapted from here)...
1.  You will need a saucepan with a fitted lid; about 1/2 cup popcorn; and enough oil to coat the bottom of your saucepan.
2.  Heat the oil in the saucepan (lid on) with 2 or 3 corn kernels.
3.  When the kernels start to pop, take the saucepan off the heat, pour in the remaining corn kernels, shake around to coat the corn in oil and count off 20 seconds.
4.  Put the saucepan (with lid on) back onto the heat and wait for the popping to start.
5.  Smile joyously and shake occasionally with the lid slightly ajar as you hear the popping.
6.  When the popping slows down significantly, take it off the heat and immediately pour the popcorn into a big wide bowl.  Add your butter and/or salt at this point if eating oh-naturelle.  Otherwise continue on to the caramel part below.  

I was a popcorn virgin before.  And, I promise you, in the two times I have made it this way, there were no burnt bits of popcorn and only about 10 kernels unpopped.

Caramel popcorn
Adapted from allrecipes.com

125g butter
2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
popcorn from above.

1.  Preheat oven to about 100C.  Place popcorn in a large baking tray (largest you can get to achieve a flat layer of popcorn.  Mine was not very large so there ended up with huge chunks of caramel popcorn rather than an even spread).  Place the popcorn in the oven to keep it warm.
2.  Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter.  And then add the sugar, syrup, and salt.  Bring to the boil while stirring constantly.  (Please be VERY careful with hot sugar.)
3.  Let it boil without stirring for 4 minutes.
4.  Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
5.  Pour the caramel mixture in a thin stream over the warmed popcorn and return the baking tray to oven.
6.  Bake the popcorn in the oven for 1 hour, stirring the popcorn every 15 minutes.
7.  Remove from oven and let it COOL COMPLETELY before breaking it into small pieces and storing...  or shoving it into your mouth by the handful.

Seriously, keep your tongue away and your children away from the caramel until it has cooled completely.  You can get seriously burnt from heated sugar/caramel.

Edited to note (shamefully), as I finish writing up this short post, this is what is left in the jar.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on 10

"Finding much life and beauty among the ordinary things of our day"... 10 photos over 10 hours - a snapshot of the beauty in my sometimes-ordinary-sometimes-hectic- sometimes-overwhelming-sometimes-good-sometimes-bad-but-always-filled-with-love life.  Thanks for dropping by! Good Morning, mama! Strong hands; precious cargo Got to love me a well-organised, rubbish-free art box! Good nap, lil' sis?  Wanna come out to play? Let's get ready for lunch Inspired to bake something yet, mama? Sleep, my little one.  Rest well and get better soon. A little Iced Coffee, sweetened with life's elixir - sweetened condensed milk - to get me through the rest of the day New skills and new discoveries An organized toy bucket - be still my anal obsessive heart For a glimpse of beautiful lives across the world (thanks to digital cameras and that wonderful sharing community that is "bloggers"), please head on over to Rebe

Monkey See; Monkey Do

I was just monkeying around the kitchen... I had some dough leftover from baking dinner rolls and cinnamon buns (yeah - it was alot of dough!) and I had seen this idea from the Pioneer Woman previously.  Cinnamon, butter, sugar and a dash of sweetened condensed milk - yes please!!!  Ok, so maybe, just maybe, I accidentally on purpose put some dough aside just so I could indulge in this .... well, indulgence. And what an indulgence - worse still, an easy indulgence as I already had the dough.  Caramelised cinnamon sugar with a bit of bread covered with sweetened condensed milk.  I don't think I really need to say more. And, in honour of Father's Day, we had special "WE heart DADDY" pancakes... ok ok - I ran out of time, energy and ideas this year.  (Note to self - try harder next year!) Don't mock the banana - at $12.99/kg this is a real treat.  Unfortunately Daddy was too slow and Little Miss M took it and ate it.  It might be Father's Da

Show some empathy

I'm a real killjoy when it comes to the Royal Melbourne Show.  It's just not my cup of tea.  I'm thinking it's been a couple of decades (nothing makes you feel older than this word, eh?), yep DECADES I'm sure, since I've been to the show.  It's expensive and there's nowhere to sit in the shade and it's expensive and it smells and it's pretty expensive (have I already said that?) especially when the only thing I want to do there is ride on the dodgem cars.   So, I'm the last person you would want with you at the show.  I am an RMS scrooge. Well, this year Little Miss M is heading off to the show with her dad and her grandma.  "Would you like to go to the show this year, love?" asks Dear Husband as he is purchasing the tickets online. "No thanks" I reply without missing a beat.  And then I start muttering to myself about how expensive it is, and how I really don't like the show, and how they probably